Queens Gardens was officially opened in 1899 by then Mayor of the City of Perth, Alexander Forrest, MLA, to provide a calm sanctuary in the heart of the city. Prior to this, the area between Nelson Crescent and Plain Street was a clay mine and brickworks.
This precinct provides a landscaped oasis within the Riverside project and will be well framed by development between three and six storeys on all frontages. Taller buildings will rise as the ground level rises north (to Waterloo Crescent) and south (to Adelaide Terrace). Design Guidelines will be applied to ensure that Queens Garden is protected from overshadowing.
At the centre of Riverside, Queens Gardens is recognised as an important community space that will be enhanced by ensuring the gardens remain visually and physically accessible from all sides.
Streets and pedestrian walkways will be used to provide clear links between Queens Gardens and other public open spaces.
Want to know more? See the Riverside FAQs