The city’s service infrastructure is getting a major upgrade to meet the needs of a growing CBD.
Major upgrades to the city’s power, water, sewer, stormwater drainage, gas and telecommunications infrastructure are underway along Wellington Street and will continue until February 2015.
Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority CEO Kieran Kinsella said the upgrades would future proof the city and ensure the provision of services for future generations.
“These works will provide essential services to the thousands of new residents and workers that will be housed within the Perth City Link development, and build the overall service capacity for the wider Perth CBD to cater for its rapidly growing residential and working population,” Mr Kinsella said.
A number of parties are working together to plan and coordinate these works to minimise disruption to the city.
“We are taking this opportunity to upgrade these vital services as part of the Perth City Link works now to minimise the impact on the city,” Mr Kinsella said.
Following completion of the services upgrades in September, the City of Perth will upgrade the Wellington Street streetscape between Milligan and King streets. These works will transform Wellington Street into a tree-lined boulevard with new footpaths and median islands as well as new street lighting, CCTV, trees and street furniture.
WELLINGTON STREET WORKS PROGRAM
Lane closures and speed restrictions will be in place along Wellington Street until February 2015. Motorists are advised to plan their journey and take alternative routes where possible.
Early January - Mid March 2014
- Drainage upgrade in southern carriageway
- West-bound traffic reduced to one lane between King and Milligan streets
Mid January to September 2014
- Perth City Link services upgrade in northern carriageway
- Westbound traffic reduced to one lane between King and Milligan streets
- Periodic east-bound lane closures as needed, reducing traffic to one lane east-bound. Where possible, this will be limited to non-peak periods or at night
- Northern Wellington Street footpath closed
- Localised traffic closures in Prince Lane and Milligan Street
September 2014 and February 2015
- City of Perth Wellington streetscape upgrades, Milligan Street to King Street
- Closures to be advised
Note: Access to local properties will be maintained
Get all the latest traffic information via:
Twiter: Follow @perth_traffic
Phone: Main Roads Customer Information Centre 138 138
App Store: 'Right Move Perth' traffic app