The Elizabeth Quay public realm is now complete and opened on 29 January 2016 with three weeks of community celebrations.
Construction of Elizabeth Quay began in 2012 with a series of works to prepare the site for future development. These works included relocation and removal of major services, tree and building removal and site remediation.
In 2013 CPB Contractors (formerly Leighton Broad) commenced the public realm works. These works included creation of the inlet, construction of five food and beverage outlets, the island playground, BHP Billiton Water Park, the pedestrian bridge as well as installation of a range of public art and interpretive heritage pieces.
Elizabeth Quay is far from complete, with a number of private developments planned for the precinct including hotel, commercial and residential. Construction on The Ritz-Carlton Hotel and apartments on lots 9 and 10 is expected to commence in the coming months.
Some minor construction activities are currently being undertaken including:
- Internal restaurant fit out works for the Florence Hummerston Kiosk.
- External cladding for the north west ice-cream kiosk.
- Minor grouting and paving works.
- Upgrades to the filtration for the BHP Billiton Water Park feature.
- Installation of a new mosaic artwork.