Work is underway on the new road connecting King Street and Lake Street through the Perth City Link project.
The King Street extension will be a new tree lined, two-way road providing a pedestrian-friendly link from King Street in the CBD to Lake Street in Northbridge. It is one of five new north-south connections being created as part of the Perth City Link project.
At the heart of the new King Street connection will be a welcoming public open space adjacent to the Perth Busport portal that will provide opportunities for city residents, workers and commuters to meet, seek respite and socialise. This space will be a landscaped area with shady trees, lawn areas and gardens to be surrounded by future cafes, restaurants and alfresco dining.
Major construction activity will soon commence onsite and will include:
- construction of a new road connecting King Street with Lake Street;
- hard and soft landscaping including paving, street furniture, grass and tree planting;
- installation of new services including power, stormwater and communications including CCTV; and
- creation of two new signalised intersections at King/Wellington Streets and Lake/Roe Streets.
The new road and open space is expected to be completed in mid-2017.
Works will be undertaken between 7am and 7pm Monday to Saturday.
- Works will be largely contained within the Perth City Link site so there should be minimal disruption to existing pedestrian and cyclist routes. There may be some impacts to pedestrians and cyclists in the form of localised lane and footpath closures, and appropriate diversions and signage will be in place
- Traffic impacts are expected to be minimal; however some traffic management will be required to facilitate construction of the two new signalised intersections. Two-way traffic flow is expected to be maintained on both Wellington Street and Roe Street
- Dust management measures will be in place including regular watering down of exposed areas with a water truck and wind fencing along site boundaries. In the event of any approved out of hours or night works, the contractor will work in accordance with City of Perth noise regulations