The $360 million rail project is the first stage of the Perth City Link and was completed at the end of 2013.
Undertaken by the Public Transport Authority, the project included:
- Sinking the Fremantle Line between William Street and Lake/King Street, creating almost 600m of a new covered section of the Fremantle Line.
- Upgrading Perth Station with new tiling, lighting and services and converting the current Platform 9
- Creating a new tunnel under the northern end of the Barrack Street Bridge to service the new Platform 9
- Extending the existing Joondalup line tunnel roof from Lake to Milligan Streets to be in line with the new Fremantle Line tunnel
- Creating a new pedestrian underpass connecting Perth Underground Station to all the platforms at Perth Station.
Visit the Public Transport Authority for more information.