A new Transit Hub will be created around the existing entry to Scarborough Beach from February to mid-late 2017. The area will be transformed into a pedestrian-friendly and welcoming entry to the beachfront, with landscaping, trees and shade structures.
This works package includes:
- Upgrades to roads and pathways, including the creation of new bus stops, landscaping and paving along existing shop fronts.
- Relocating the Clock Tower six metres west of its current position to enable the creation of Scarborough Square.
- Installation of new water, power and gas services.
This is a significant piece of work that will require changes to traffic flow, including bus, taxi, pedestrian and cyclist movements until mid-late 2017:
- Scarborough Beach Road will be closed between West Coast Highway and The Esplanade (deliveries only via Scarborough Beach Road) - vehicle access to the beachfront via Manning Street or Brighton Road
- Bus exit via Brighton Road until early June 2017
- The Esplanade will be one-way from Manning Street to Brighton Road
- New northbound cyclist lane added to The Esplanade
- Bus stops move to West Coast Highway (by Rendezvous Hotel, drop off only) and The Esplanade (north of Scarborough Beach Road, pick up and drop off) - visit Transperth's website for detailed route and bus stop information
- Taxi rank relocated in front of Peter's by the Sea
Access to local businesses and residential buildings will remain in place at all times although there may be some slight adjustments to pathways and access points throughout the works period. Follow the signs.