Our Planning Framework
With our Midland project, we’re working closely with development applicants and industry experts to achieve the best quality design and sustainability initiatives, and attract good returns for investors. Our work is guided by a redevelopment scheme, policies and design guidelines for each precinct.
Responsibility for the project
We currently have planning authority over the Midland redevelopment area, which includes part of the Midland city centre and the area in and around the former Railway Workshops. More than 40% of the redevelopment has been completed to date, with these areas handed back to the City of Swan for ongoing management.
Our development application process
There are a series of steps involved in obtaining planning approval which can take up to 90 days for standard developments and 120 days for major projects.
- Design Phase: A concept for the development is considered and the requirement for planning approval is determined by the applicant.
- Pre-Lodgement Meeting: An optional meeting with our Planning Team to discuss the application and/or process.
- Lodgement: The development application is compiled and submitted to our Planning Team along with the required fee.
- Assessment: Our team assesses proposed development in line with the relevant planning framework and refers it to the relevant agencies. It could also be referred to independent consultants, design review panels or advertised for public comment.
- Decide and Inform: Notification of the outcome for the development application is given.
Throughout the process our Planning Team will liaise with you where required. An additional Working Drawings process may be requested if necessary. Only once approval has been given can you apply for a Building License from your Local Government.
There's some answers to lots of frequently asked questions and a detailed step by step diagram on the development application process page.
Find out more
Read our planning documents, view our planning and approvals page or learn about our development process.