Planning New Northbridge
Our New Northbridge project has been guided by our planning framework including a redevelopment scheme, development policies and design guidelines to create a vibrant, innovative and sustainable redevelopment.
Our planning framework was developed to:
- Revitalise land above the Graham Farmer Freeway tunnel
- Link entertainment and business precincts with the surrounding residential areas
- Maintain and build on the unique heritage and character of Northbridge
The redevelopment of New Northbridge is now 70% complete. In December 2011:
- Stage 1A of New Northbridge was returned to the City of Perth.
- Stage 1B of New Northbridge was returned to the City of Vincent.
If you would like to learn more about planning or proposals for areas within these areas, please contact the City of Perth or City of Vincent. If you have a proposal or planning query for the remaining areas of land please contact us directly through MRA Planning.
The City of Perth and City of Vincent are responsible for Northbridge. As each project area is completed, we hand planning control back to the relevant council in a process known as ‘normalisation.’ Stage 1A has been returned to the City of Perth and Stage 1B has been returned to the City of Vincent.
Our development application process
There are a series of steps involved in obtaining planning approval which can take up to 90 days for standard developments and 120 days for major projects.
- Design Phase: A concept for the development is considered and the requirement for planning approval is determined by the applicant.
- Pre-Lodgement Meeting: An optional meeting with our Planning Team to discuss the application and/or process.
- Lodgement: The development application is compiled and submitted to our Planning Team along with the required fee.
- Assessment: Our team assesses proposed development in line with the relevant planning framework and refers it to the relevant agencies. It could also be referred to independent consultants, design review panels or advertised for public comment.
- Decide and Inform: Notification of the outcome for the development application is given.
Throughout the process our Planning Team will liaise with you where required. An additional Working Drawings process may be requested if necessary. Only once approval has been given can you apply for a Building License from your Local Government.
There's some answers to lots of frequently asked questions and a detailed step by step diagram on the development application process page.
Find out more
Read our planning documents, learn about our development application process or view our planning and approvals page.