Planning the future of Scarborough
Our redevelopment area for Scarborough covers approximately 100ha of land, stretching 1.6km along the Scarborough beachfront and east along Scarborough Beach Road. As part of the project planning to date:
- Our 100 hectare Scarborough Redevelopment Area was identified
- We launched an Interim Scheme in July 2014 and were given planning authority from the City of Stirling for the redevelopment
- A Land Redevelopment Committee has been established, with a representative from the City of Stirling and others with experience in tourism, planning and urban renewal
- The Scarborough Master Plan built on the work done by the City of Stirling and responding to stakeholder and community feedback was finalised in September 2015
- The final Redevelopment Scheme, Design Guidelines and Planning Policies were adopted in October 2016 following public consultation
Our development application process
There are a series of steps involved in obtaining planning approval which can take up to 90 days for standard developments and 120 days for major projects.
- Design Phase: A concept for the development is considered and the requirement for planning approval is determined by the applicant.
- Pre-Lodgement Meeting: An optional meeting with our Planning Team to discuss the application and/or process.
- Lodgement: The development application is compiled and submitted to our Planning Team along with the required fee.
- Assessment: Our team assesses proposed development in line with the relevant planning framework and refers it to the relevant agencies. It could also be referred to independent consultants, design review panels or advertised for public comment.
- Decide and Inform: Notification of the outcome for the development application is given.
Throughout the process our Planning Team will liaise with you where required. An additional Working Drawings process may be requested if necessary. Only once approval has been given can you apply for a Building License from your Local Government.
There's some answers to lots of frequently asked questions and a detailed step by step diagram on the development application process page.