Since 2008, the Swan Festival of Lights has been setting the Perth foreshore alight with a multitude of colours, rhythms and flavours to celebrate Deepavali.
The unifying theme of 'light' is used to bring together and celebrate Western Australia's cultural diversity through dance, music and cuisine.
The timing of the Swan Festival of Lights coincides with the Indian festival of Deepavali (Diwali), while popularly known as the "festival of lights", spiritually it means "the awareness of the inner light".
This year sees the event at a new location, with activities around the Elizabeth Quay inlet, with an amazing line up of Indian food and drink, local and international music and dance performances, workshops and activities for the family including camel rides, outdoor cinema and floating lamps in the inlet.
The evening will conclude with a celebration of light in the night sky with a fireworks display around 9pm each night.
View the Swan Festival of Lights 2015 teaser video for an example of what's in store for this year.
Important points to note:
- The food on offer is a vegetarian delight and will be available from 4.30pm. Festival cashless cards must be purchased which are then used at the food and drink stalls. The cards are available on the day or can be pre-purchased from the Annalakshmi restaurant prior to the event.
- Recommend taking public transport to get to Elizabeth Quay, with the Elizabeth Quay Train Station, Busport and Ferry Terminal all easily accessible.
- It is an outdoor event, bring some warm clothing for the evening.
- You may wish to bring a throw rug to sit and watch the performances - main performance times 6-9pm. The outdoor cinema runs till 9.45pm.
- It is a smoke and alcohol free event.
- Road closures within Elizabeth Quay will be in place.
- For enquiries or complaints during the Festival contact 0413 749 808.
Event is coordinated by Annalakshmi Cultural Centre of WA Inc and Saraswati Mahavidhyalaya, and supported by the MRA. Visit website
Dates and times
- 28 - 30 October 2016 4:30pm - 10:00pm