Rock away the summer at our stylin' 1950s urban beach!
We are bringing the beach back to the city with our latest installation, ‘Rock Away Beach’.
Feel the sand beneath your toes and enjoy the deck chairs, bench seating, beach umbrellas, shady trees and giant games - jenga and chess. We have even thrown in the odd sea creature or two to transform this urban space into a seaside haven.
The action will kick off on Friday 5 December at 5:30pm with musical duo, Sugartown Two, performing their stripped-back country blues tunes. At 7:30pm catch a retro screening of the 1960's underwater musical romp - 'Hello Down There' and then rock the night away with some beach tunes and illuminations on the big screen until late.
Throughout the beach season, urban beach goers will be entertained in the evenings with music and movies, while Bar Pop will turn 'Rock Away Beach' into a rocking beach bar.
The party continues at the beach with our screenings of short film festival Tropfest on Sunday 7 December and if you are looking for a unique viewing location to watch the Boxing Day Test match you can't go past the beach on Friday 26 December.
Escape those balmy summer nights on Wednesdays and Sundays and get along to our Elvis - Rock Away Beach summer screenings. You won't want to miss these classics:
- Wednesday 10 December, 7:30pm: Jailhouse Rock (1957)
- Sunday 14 December, 7:30pm: Girl Happy (1965)
- Wednesday 17 December, 7:30pm: King Creole (1958)
- Sunday 21 December, 7:30pm: Follow that Dream (1962)
- Sunday 28 December, 7:30pm: Wild in the Country (1961)
- Sunday 4 January, 7:30pm: Blue Hawaii (1961)
- Sunday 11 January, 7:30pm: Girls! Girls! Girls! (1962)
- Sunday 18 January, 7:30pm: Viva Las Vegas (1964)
Share your experience with us #RockAwayBeach
Dates and times
- 5 December 2014 - 1 February 2015
James Street Amphitheatre
Perth Cultural Centre James Street Mall (Bordered by Roe Street, Beaufort Street, Francis Street and William Street)