Reconnect with the vast Perth wetlands that flourished in central Perth until they were drained between 1830 and 1880.
Commissioned by the City of Perth for TRANSART: TRANSITION 2016, Swamp Clubb is an immersive, multi-sensory walking tour by artists Matt Aitken and Mei Swan Lim.
Whilst people celebrate the sinking of the railway line and “re-connecting” of the Perth CBD with Northbridge, Swamp Clubb will facilitate people reconnecting with this familiar urban landscape through enquiring into its ecological, socio-cultural and spiritual past.
The project is comprised of three components:
- Breakfast Clubb – as a starting point for the tours, where people will gather and complete a light survey (titled Perthonal Reflections) before being provided with a light breakfast.
- Lake Kingsford Eco Ghost Tours – a series of four tours, leaving from the Urban Orchard and moving along a path following the edges of the former site of Lake Kingsford. Each tour will feature a different guest speaker and will aim to investigate the histories of the ecology and ways of life that once existed, prior to reclamation of the lake. The tours will also feature a variety of sensory experiences.
- Kingsford Swamp Stream – a pre-recorded audio podcast, which patrons who cannot make it to the tours can access online.
All tours begin from the Urban Orchard in Northbridge and stretch a short distance around Northbridge and the Perth CBD. Tour routes will vary slightly from week to week.
This is a City of Perth event. Visit website
Dates and times
- 6 May 2016 7:00am - 9:00am
- 13 May 2016 7:00am - 9:00am
- 20 May 2016 7:00am - 9:00am
- 21 May 2016 9:30am - 2:00pm
Perth Cultural Centre, (Bordered by Roe Street, William Street, Beaufort Street and Francis Street)